Community Support : Establishing Structure & Growth Capacity

Hey FOX community!

If you’re reading this you’ve likely engaged in our discord and have read about the fundamental values that we as a community would like to promote. Unfortunately as the community expands problems will surely arise. I would like to prevent excessive ‘noise’ in the community caused by trolls, bad-actors, and confused individuals who may spam the discord without becoming familiar with the community in which they’re attempting participation.

Here is a rough breakdown of my ideal first attempt in strengthening and enabling a growing community to thrive:

We will have ‘Head Moderators’ and ‘Co-Moderators’. These individuals will be responsible for a number of tasks associated with supporting, informing and protecting the FOX community:

• Head Moderators: The ideal situation would be to have two ‘Head Moderators’. The logic behind that assumption is that workload may be overwhelming, further, availability of a ‘Head Moderator’ would be optimal for any given situation that may arise. These Moderators would handle more significant structural issues within the community, including feature request, and settings adjustments.

• Co-Moderators: This would ideally consist of three individuals. This would allow for more specific assignment specializations, while allowing a moderator to always be ‘online’. Co-Moderators would play a very active, and hands-on role in the community. Interacting with members. These Moderators effectively act as a ‘safety-patrol’ helping people cross the road when school is out. Scheduled reporting/meetings with ‘Head’ mods would take place both on a scheduled and as-needed basis.

Due to demand, one ‘Head Moderator’ and two ‘Co-Moderators’ would provide coverage until the number of users, and activity increases across community platforms. When excessive work load become apparent a vote by the DAO to expand the current community support team may take place.

Expansion to vote on when DAO deems necessary:

• Language support/translation capability; This can be handled by a new moderator or multiple moderators in regards to community support demand across numerous languages.

• Added Moderators to support the initial team.

Compensation:

• ‘Head Moderators’: 4500USD in FOX/monthly
  • ‘Co-Moderators’: 3500USD in FOX/monthly
  • Bounty Established for translation services
  • Bonus associated with multilingual ‘Mods’

Work load may be very significant initially until expansion occurs if user volume continues to climb. I am considering the idea that the first moderator team that takes on reorganization tasks and capacity strengthening measures should have the same pool of compensation to draw from as the final (expanded) team. This would mean that the first Moderators will be compensated higher than the final expanded team of compensated community supporting FOXs.

Edit - Addressing topics of discussion:

1. Head Moderators - how many do you think is needed? What do you think a reasonable time commitment would be for these individuals? From here you should be able to easily calculate a reasonable level of compensation for both managing the co-moderators and moderating yourself.

I believe that voting on valid candidates (chosen in forum) would be an effective way to approach the situation. Initially, having one Head Mod., would meet the needs of the current community. Two of these positions would eventually likely be necessary, in order to cover expansion. The positions would be full-time, as the community is international, and problems arise at any hour in my experience.

1. Co-Moderators - One Co-Mod will suffice until community growth provides necessary human capital resources (more Co-Mods). The idea is to have two or three Co-Mods prior to having two Head-Mods. This will maximize efficiency IMO.

2. Should there be any special privileges assigned to these moderators? For example, @Giantkin has proposed a moderation strike system - where mods can put strikes on users, with context, and certain numbers of strikes = certain outcomes. I would further propose that in the spirit of decentralization, only Community Mods (head and co) have this power, and Foxes like myself making a transition from Centralization to DAO run in support of those strikes. This may address your point of preventing accusations of vested interest. Since only community elected mods have the power to preserve and maintain the DAO culture.

Yes essential privileges associated with necessary community moderation tasks must be in place. This includes a system such as the one you mentioned already at a whiteboard with @giantkin of which I need to make myself familiar with. The idea is exactly as you mentioned, to decentralize community moderation. Preventing vested interest, and promoting genuine community environment is the goal of structuring the community itself in a way that enables growth without loss of user-experience (feeling a personal connection/value/purpose/safety in an environment).

There are of course specifics that I would love @giantkin and any other proposed candidate to comment on that may improve the planning of the formal proposal/plan moving forward.

10 Likes

For those interested in being involved in these roles, please make it known here.

Thank you
Hunt

1 Like

I like this idea in principle - however I think it useful to point out that there are already 17 moderators and 3 admins in Discord, as well as a Community Mod - GiantKin.

Would it be appropriate to simplify this proposal to a group of community moderators? (I am personally very much in favor of seeing the community grow in both size and ownership of the discord.) Am I missing the point? I could see the benefits you point out - especially the multilingual moderators. I also see the value in having community mods that not only moderate the discord but also promote the values that you pointed out.

thoughts?

2 Likes

Yeah, these mods would be more-so aligned with dealing with community issues as a ‘community’, voted in by the ‘community’. Further, structural issues, and community concerns can be brought in an organized manner to the established admins.

GiantKin is actually my recommended nominee for the ‘Head Mod’ position initially as things move along in these early stages.

Edit: It is of my opinion that the structure in place for understanding how-to, and where to start with proposal ideas (on Discord), should be a really fluid and easy experience. For now the experience is that of confusion because of the current structure associated with channels and troll control (eventual spam will follow I’m sure). Having a dedicated couple of community members focused on this experience would benefit the ecosystem as a whole, IMO.

Thanks for getting this going,
Hunt

2 Likes

I like the concept. (its what I was talking about, but said alot better than I could, thanks!)
I would like to be involved obviously (Position Community Mod now)
Compensation: Numbers should be discussed, I was not expecting that conversation yet.

Clear work ideas-expectations etc.
I have a full time business I run. (7days a week i am open) I have alot of ‘free’ time at work however. I can play a game or watch movies/tv (with pause!) or help ppl on discord servers. (or all of the above sometimes)

Gk

2 Likes

@huntthewick I do understand what you’re saying, and I agree. I believe someone said this in the discord, and you seem to get it. The community IS THE DAO, not that we’re all working for the DAO. I think that your idea here is very much in line with this thinking that I share.

2 Likes

I love this proposal @huntthewick - and I think its crucial that we have a team of Mods that are paid by and supported by the DAO to help build our community at this stage.

I think the compensation you suggest for the mods is reasonable and I would support, overall I support this proposal and would vote yes on it in ideation stage and snapshot as it moves forward. I think the most important thing is that the proposal should name the initial head mods (I think both you @huntthewick and @giantkin are great candidates for that and would be happy to see you both have that title moving forward) and then any additional mods should be hired out of whatever budget the DAO allocates for this by those head mods without further DAO vote/involvement (this would help streamline the process and organization of the team).

This could effectively become a new workstream (community-management) with one or both of you as the leaders of that workstream!

Thanks so much for putting up this proposal, I look forward to seeing it progress!

1 Like

ME and hutthewick have been discussing this proposal via DM ( i believe he read my proposal and cleaned it up for me and made it a real proposal) (i posted similar in discord props to him!)
I like the initial ideas.

1 Like

Thank you for the input. Touching on a couple things that caught my immediate attention:

First, I like the idea of community mods handling certain duties within a set scope to streamline things within the functioning team.

Second, I am understanding that the best candidates for the job may seem to be certain individuals now, but I believe that will change. I am trying not to be too George Washington’y about this so I’ll make it pretty short; If I do take on responsibility in this workstream that may or may not be created upon further whiteboarding, I will plan my exit as I go in.

I’ll explain that a little bit further; I think that upon the first expansion process being complete (adding any extra mods) it would be ideal for me to leave the functioning team. There should as I expect be clear candidates to replace me by then. This is such as I’d like to make sure certain things happen on the marketing & growth side of things that will take a bit more critical thinking to draft out and achieve.

Thanks for the add to the topic,
Hunt

5 Likes

sounds like you’ve confirmed that you’re a great candidate to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think your current forum post in ideation has a lot of legs. From what I can see, there are a few points that need further clarification - then it needs to be proposed up and voted on. You’ve got my vote.

1. Head Moderators - how many do you think is needed? What do you think a reasonable time commitment would be for these individuals? From here you should be able to easily calculate a reasonable level of compensation for both managing the co-moderators and moderating yourself.

2. Co-Moderators - same questions.

3. Should there be any special privileges assigned to these moderators? For example, @Giantkin has proposed a moderation strike system - where mods can put strikes on users, with context, and certain numbers of strikes = certain outcomes. I would further propose that in the spirit of decentralization, only Community Mods (head and co) have this power, and Foxes like myself making a transition from Centralization to DAO run in support of those strikes. This may address your point of preventing accusations of vested interest. Since only community elected mods have the power to preserve and maintain the DAO culture.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I posted my thoughts in the original post, thanks for digging into this further with me.

1 Like

One comment / one question

1. If the mods are hired on, especially the head mods, the Discord (or any other social forums) handles need to be appropriate so they are welcoming to all new and current users. If there are candidates interested, might be a good idea to think about changing the handles now if they fall into the category I’m describing

2. Is this just specific to Discord, The Forum, Boardroom, all of them?

5 Likes

I believe that this would be best applied to all community environments. Specifically Discord/forum/whatever else can be reasonably taken on.

I agree, any candidate will need to have a fully respectable presence. all good things,.

I’m not sure how the boardroom should be approached, but I’d like to hear input from any other people that are interested in approaching this proposal drafting process.

2 Likes

It seems me and huntthewick think along similar avenues. I’ve been thinking about exit myself. Altho mine was geared for postions/workflow, and not personal. IE: if someone takes on the job and does it for a month, then disappears (without notice ofc) for an extended amount of time. (emergencies happen ofc) there would be a replacement setup in place. (chain of command structure) so that the next person in line, takes over the duties. if/when the original returns (and has understandable reasons) nothing was missed for the absence.
(I can think of a few scenario’s that might happen, all unexpected)

1 Like

For me personally, this looks like a well thought out, and properly vetted idea. If you don’t receive any additional comments in the next couple of days - I would propose that this be codified in a formal proposal to be voted on.

1 Like

I second this. I think this is well thought out. I could definitely use help in the Discord :joy:
It’s been great to see community members step up. @giantkin was a huge help even before we went public with the DAO.
I’d like to add we need moderation in: Telegram, Discord, forum, boardroom, and our future documentation tools (currently Notion is being discussed). I am sure there are others I am forgetting.
Seeing as we have so many things to administer, I could support increasing the compensation, or bonuses for hitting milestones.

3 Likes

This is a great point @Marley - I would love to see this moderation team allow us to to open up the telegram for discussion (as long as we have dedicated people ready to assist there and keep it useful). Something to discuss once this team is formed.

I agree that if there is no other significant changes in the next day or two this should be moved on to the next stage of governance by having a formal proposal posted in the ideation section of boardroom!

2 Likes

I 100% agree with this. I’m very excited to get this over to boardroom!

1 Like

Could you please ellaborate more on what these roles would do, why they are a priority, and why we need so many?

Also, how would a mod handle feature requests, and settings adjustments?

Does our community currently have issues that mods would solve or are we hiring mods to check “mods hired” off the list?

I’ve seen numerous posts about DAOs making the mistake of hiring community ambassadors/moderators too early. Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see the urgency in this.

Also, comparing the number of mods suggested (paired with the compensation), it is higher than I’ve seen in busier flourishing communities.

1 Like