[SCP-TBD] Modifying Ideation Polling

Summary

Our current forum based polling (that has been a stopgap in the absence of boardroom) does not accurately represent our official snapshot voting where 1 FOX is equivalent to 1 vote. This proposal would move ideation to snapshot to remove this discrepancy and ensure that ideation polling accurately captures token holders sentiment.

Abstract

Our forum based polling doesn’t ensure voters are FOX holders nor does it have any sybil resistance. In theory, this could be used as a way to manipulate the DAO’s governance process. Forum polls have meant to be a temporary solution that has lasted too long. If passed, this proposal would leverage snapshot voting to mitigate these risks. An ideation post would now include a link to a snapshot vote that is tagged with [Ideation] in the title. For example, a title would now read [SCP-99][Ideation] Modifying Ideation Polling for an Ideation vote and the official vote would read [SCP-99] Modifying Ideation Polling.

Motivation

Ideation polling should be identical to the final snapshot vote from FOX token holders. Technically, this is the simplest way we can achieve this today. It eliminates the risk of manipulation of our governance process that currently exists with the forum where anyone is able to vote regardless of their FOX holdings and we lack protection from a sybil attack.

Specification

1. Each ideation post will now include a link to an ideation snapshot vote

This ideation snapshot vote will be tagged with [Ideation]

1. in the title
  2. This ideation snapshot vote will be the deciding factor if a proposal goes to the final snapshot voting process

Benefits

We will close the risks associated with forum based polling in a simple manner that requires no additional tooling to our DAO stack.

Drawbacks

The user experience may be a bit harder for new governance participants and it adds some trivial amount of complexity when creating a new proposal.

Mentioned was looking at metaforo, maybe can set that up to use weighted fox. (atm it can be gated fox, not sure if its already setup or not)

Yup is reaching out to them to see if they would be able to provide a solution. While I do think their product is awesome and may ultimately be a better long term solution, I don’t think we should wait to fix this issue for ourselves now with tooling that already exists.

Excellent idea, - I’ve often had the concern that forum polls might be manipulated to sway optics. Actioning this proposal would address that!

thanks , fully agree with the spirit of this proposal.

I do think we should consider Metaforo as an alternative approach to solving the vulnerability in our gov process while keeping our SnapShot instance focused on official governance proposals.

Check out Metaforo’s website as well as the demo their team has set up for us: https://test.metaforo.io/g/shapeshift

As you can see, Metaforo is able to migrate all of our legacy forum posts so we can have a smooth transition. New users can connect their wallet to participate in the forum, and existing forum users can sign into their discourse account and then bind their wallet after login.

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/standard10/uploads/foxcookieco/optimized/1X/37a64823ac5f64826c46b4bb9cbed063454faf18_2_690x196.png

In addition to all of our forum posts, Metaforo imports are Snapshot proposals and adds the ability for users to add comments and/or send tips to proposal creators and commenters.

Metaforo already has the ability to create polls and limit the ability to vote to addresses holding at least x FOX (x can be configured for each poll). Yesterday we asked them if they could also calculate voting power using our SnapShot strategies, and they responded very positively!

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/standard10/uploads/foxcookieco/optimized/1X/65551f68e43ab7b1bf0757a8c84535c76f34485a_2_611x499.jpeg

1. I’ve asked how soon they can have this functionality implemented and will report back. So far I’ve been super impressed with what Metaforo has built, their willingness to incorporate our feedback and feature requests, and the speed at which they’re shipping.

Assuming they can have this feature live within 2 weeks, I’d like to propose that we migrate both our Forum and our ideation process over to Metaforo rather than moving ideation to Snapshot for the following reasons:

The barrier for getting a post into ideation is minimal, and I would prefer to keep our snapshot space limited to vetted proposals.

2. FOX holders that are active in governance but not in the day-to-day may not understand the distinction between official proposals and ideation posts
  3. Even if we move the ideation votes to snapshot, we’ll still need to keep the discussion in the forum. Metaforo lets us keep voting and discussion in one place, and adds the additional functionality of tipping.

I don’t want to slow down this proposal though, so perhaps we can move forward with the optionality (ie. If Metaforo has this functionality available by x date, migrate our forum and use Metaforo for ideation. If not, proceed with the Snapshot plan.

Thanks for the consideration! Curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on Metaforo, both as a forum replacement and for Ideation.

Thanks as always for the leg work on this!

Metaforo seems like a great solution with a better UX. Maybe we should put up a proposal for the migration that is a few days behind this one in the governance process and when metaforo is able to deliver the needed functionality it will just replace this proposed change.

Sounds like a great plan ser, let’s dao it! 1f680

Happy to spearhead the proposal for migrating the forum too

Agreed this is something we can improve upon (though separate issue from this sybil vulnerability in ideation).

The community could certainly decide to lower Quorum or implement caps on voting, but neither would actually solve the voting power imbalance between whales’ and smaller hoiders.

I would support the DAO switching from 1 FOX = 1 vote to quadratic voting as soon as we can reliably prevent sybil attacks. That’s my favorite solution to this problem, and one that should be easy to implement once the sybil problem is solved. Until then, I think 1 FOX = 1 vote has been working well and not convinced we need to spend time and effort changing anything, but always open to ideas for how we can dao better.

Thanks to everyone who has responded for the feedback. It’s been 5 days, and it seems there have been no requests for material changes to this proposal (besides the follow up for metaforo 1f680 when ready).

I am going to move this to ideation at this point to keep the process moving.

[SCP-97] Modifying Ideation Polling moved to ideation.