SCP 82 - Proposal to Request Funding for Video Post Production with Amadeus Style

Note that I am submitting this on behalf of Amadeus Style, the video production crew we worked with for ETHDenver. Looking for feedback and questions!

Summary:

Amadeus Style, a Blockchain Media House, is requesting 6,500 USDC funding to complete a series of videos from at ETHDenver 2022.

Abstract:

During ETHDenver 2022, there were a considerable amount of videos contracted by ShapeShift for Amadeus Style to complete. These were delivered, paid for and were very well received by the community.

View the ETHDenver 2022 ShapeShift videos here:

However, there is a considerable amount of footage gathered at ETHDenver that was outside of the scope of the original contract paid for by Marketing and Growth. This proposal is simply to finish editing this footage into usable stories, and to deliver these assets to ShapeShift. Note that although these are from ETHDenver, the content and stories resonate well outside of the event itself. These are all very usable through the next 3-6 months.

Motivation:

Dynamic and engaging video content can be very expensive to produce. Cameras, lighting, audio, logging footage, editing, graphics, etc., are all very costly services to hire out. We are in a unique situation where Amadeus Style voluntarily recorded interviews and events at one of the largest crypto events in the world. They have pushed forward logging the footage, and piecing together usable stories without any compensation so far. It’s in ShapeShift’s best interest to put all of these great interviews and talks to use. Hiring out a crew to do this from scratch would easily cost 10 times the proposed amount.

Completing these videos will provide ShapeShift with a myriad of incredible content to help build the growing YouTube channel and provide quality content for social media. These videos were selected based on ShapeShift’s current marketing and communication goals.

Specification:

Amadeus Style will edit and deliver 15 YouTube videos and 20 social media videos to the Creative Services squad, to be used in conjunction with Marketing and Growth to promote the DAO with video content. Files will be organized into Google Drive folders for delivery. A master doc with notes will be provided for getting the content published.

YouTube Videos - Storied

These videos will include short snippets that communicate ShapeShift’s mission and vision.

• Becoming a DAO - 2-3 mins
  • What’s Next For Shapeshift - 2-3 min
  • Working at a DAO - 2-3 mins
  • The ShapeShift Community - 2-3 mins
  • Get involved with a DAO - 2-3 mins
  • ShapeShift’s Engineering Road Map - 2 min

YouTube Videos - Single Interviews

These are shorter videos for YouTube from individual interviews that form a quick and relevant point, great for sharing more about ShapeShift in a shorter form from a single interviewee.

• What is Tokenomics - 2 mins
  • CoinCenter Fundraiser - 1 min
  • What is ShapeShift + transitioning into a DAO - 2 mins
  • Advice for DAOs wanting to foster collaboration - 1:15 min
  • How Josh got involved with ShapeShift - 1:15
  • Advice if you’re thinking about starting a DAO - 1:15 mins
  • Goals of Treasury Management - 1 min
  • Navigating a Crypto Winter Safely - 1 min
  • Engineering direction for Shapeshift DAO - 1min

Social Media Videos (20)

These are intended to be highly shareable and even shorter than the YouTube videos listed above. Generally 20-40 second highlight clips from the talks and interviews, often formatted specifically for a platform (e.g. 9:16 for YouTube, 1:1 for Instagram)

• ETH Denver summaries - 6 shorts
  • Josh Interview summaries - 4 shorts
  • Willy Interview summaries - 3 shorts
  • Rotorless Interview
  • Kent Interview
    • What’s next for ShapeShift - 1 min
    • ETH Denver Highlights - 1 min (could be nice to tag @ETHDenver)
  • 0xDeF1Cafe Interview
    • Favorite thing working at the DAO - 23 seconds
    • What’s next for ShapeShift - 54 seconds

Drawbacks:

The drawback of passing this proposal is cost. I realize we are trying to keep budgets lean. However, letting the footage go unused would be wasteful.

Vote

• For - Allocate $6500 USDC to be paid to Amadeus Style to complete and deliver 35 videos
  • Against - Allocate no funds

0 voters

8 Likes

Honestly, this seems like a great bang for our buck. While $6500 in USDC IS a lot - especially when we are actively trying to cut costs, comparing that to the costs/time it would take us to do something like this in house (even just going through the raw footage and sorting what is usable) would cost a TON more. If it would help the passing of this proposal, I would be happy to sit down with some of the marketing people on the content creation side and we can roadmap out a specific plan to use every one of the 35 videos and maximize what the DAO is getting for this spend. Just throwing that out as an offer

7 Likes

I like the way you think @hpayne and we’d love to see all of these videos get shared as much as possible. We also wanted to give ShapeShift a good deal on this work because we’re big fans of what they’re doing. Cheers!

6 Likes

I’m in support of this proposal. The Marketing WS has been discussing creating more visual/video content for quite some time. I think these videos would increase engagement across our social platforms potentially leading to user growth and will add some flavour to the long form written content we currently produce, building a better connection with the community/user base.

As @willy mentioned yesterday we want to continue to put focus on our message of being community-owned, decentralized, non-custodial, open-source and free! These videos would certainly help in getting that message across in my opinion. Visual content captures attention much quicker. Audiences want information that’s catered to them, they want it quick to the point, dynamic and exciting to watch AND they want content that appears in multiple mediums. In order to get that connection, our content marketing strategy should incorporate more visual approaches in my opinion.

I am happy to help @graymachine alongside @hpayne in creating a marketing plan for specific usage of these videos to ensure we maximise the use of this already gathered visual content.

6 Likes

Assuming it was the two people at the Coincap dinner and afterparty, they were awesome people and if they have a ton of content for a low price for us, this seems like a no brainer for getting some content made in the dao out there

5 Likes

Well put together proposal. Thank you for taking the time. I support the spend. :clapper:

4 Likes

Thanks for putting the proposal together, the videos do look great. Is there a reason this wouldn’t fall into the budget of the marketing work-stream ( do we actually need a separate proposal for this)?

2 Likes

Marketing was the first place I checked but they are lacking the budget for a project of this size.

2 Likes

Thanks, super helpful. Given the current state of the DAO treasury and the markets I am not in favor of additional marketing spend at this time. I do agree that the content is great, but don’t think right now is the time to invest more into marketing considering our current monthly expenses there.

2 Likes

I understand the need for tighter spending, but I feel $6500 is reasonable for the content. Just my 2 sats.

4 Likes

Yes, that was us at the CoinCenter fundraiser and you’re awesome as well! Here’s the video from that night if you haven’t seen it yet: ShapeShift DAO's Coin Center Benefit Dinner - ETH Denver 2022 - YouTube

2 Likes

I recommended that this move to a governance process. I furthermore support the proposed value add be funded by the ShapeShift DAO treasury.

Thank you for all of the hard work and the follow through @graymachine @travelingjon

edit: I’m game w/ the marketing planning & will ensure that this content is effectively utilized as one of the marketing workstream leaders. Thank you @Arina and @hpayne for being such awesome contributors!

3 Likes