Ideation SCP(114): 2023 Jan-Jun Moderation Workstream Renewal Discussion

Summary

The Community Moderation Workstream is primarily responsible to support the community and to maintain the integrity of all ShapeShift various platforms such as Discord, The Forum, and Notion. Future platforms that the community chooses to implement may also be included. This workstream is used daily to ensure the smooth operation of the ShapeShift DAO.

This proposal is to renew the Moderation Workstream, re-elect Giantkin as leader and fund the workstream through the end of June 2023.

Total Ask is $11600/m

Total through June 2023 is $69.6k

Charter

During this proposals timeframe, if at any time Moderation lead needs to leave (or be asked to leave)

the Leaders group can force vote out the Moderation lead (or put leader on hold).

• Temp position given to other mod members, number 2 first would be put in ‘charge’ until lead returns, or a new lead is voted in.
  • Moderation Leader decides which contributor fills the roles needed.

Abstract

Moderation supports all workstreams and all users within each of the platforms it moderates. As we bring more members into the various platforms, moderators act as so much more than bot managers and spam blockers. Not only do the moderators set up the verification process, they are the point of contact for members having issues with the verification process. They function as the greeters of the DAO, if you will. Our team of moderators clears the path for new members, new contributors and new supporters by facilitating a fluid user experience. Enthusiastic about all things defi and crypto, empowering community members, new and old alike, on their journey to self-empowered entrepreneurism.

Motivation

The mission of this workstream is simple: to help people. Moderation is the workstream you never knew you needed, but couldn’t live without. From welcoming new users to setting up Zoom calls to managing bots. Moderation is here to support the community. This workstream strives to create a space that fosters security, growth and innovation.

Our team of trustworthy, confident and enthusiastic moderators allows for decentralization of community moderation. This may address the point of preventing accusations of vested interest, since only community elected mods have the power to preserve and maintain the DAO culture.

As the workstream leader, I want to make the user feel like they are able to relax. Users are most likely talking from their home space, home usually means they feel safe. I want to keep that feeling in our group.

Specification

Moderators take on wide variety of tasks, including but not limited to:

• Organize user flow via roles, channels and bots
  • Create and maintain scheduled events in sesh & Discord
  • Provide protection from scammers
  • Warn abusers (strike system established by Giantkin)
  • Issue Bans based on abuse (temp/forever bans)
  • Providing Discord support
  • Facilitating ‘temps’ for a job, for example, providing the DJ with a role for the event
  • Help maintain and update server images such as avatars, stickers, emojis, etc. (graymachine)
  • Provide moderation support (live when possible) for meetings and community events
  • Drive users to the proper channels
  • Continually monitoring channels, and other server banlists for potential spam/scammers and adding them into our banlist
  • Taking part in Support/Ops triage process by shuttling members requesting support to the proper channels, connecting with self help resources, #support, Zendesk, etc as appropriate
  • Appropriate use of Admin Power by Moderation Workstream Leader
  • Moving Donova from Marketing to Moderation transition for Telegram basic moderation/some repost duties.

What are the goals of this workstream?

• Provide 12 hour moderation coverage to ShapeShift DAO’s community channels, with the eventual desired goal to provide 24 hour coverage if needed.
  • Proactively ban 90% of scammers/bots that try to sneak into ShapeShift discord
  • Ensure that most community meetings are scheduled on the calendar
  • The Moderation Workstream is successful when you don’t notice that it’s there.
  • Enforce the Code Of Conduct as recently updated, to the best of ability.

During the Jan - June 2022 term, the Moderation Workstream has accomplished the following:

• Stopped 34 raids (as of the last Allfox in October) (rough handcount)
  • Setup a new user flow for Languages
  • Sustainability updates to server roles and channels
  • Updates to Role Selector
  • Changed Captcha Bots to one that has language options

Benefits

• Keeps the discord clear of spammers
  • Limits the Scammers on server

Drawbacks

• Growing member list, growing expense.

Put into Ideation https://snapshot.org/#/shapeshiftdao.eth/proposal/0x10be605f7ca74bb60fa3924e3861a1dcc00c3b50ed90020b6e78535fe04a70ef

Ideation. Sorry, to those 2 that already voted. i left out the ‘ideation word’ and had to recreate. https://snapshot.org/#/shapeshiftdao.eth/proposal/0x387aad4f41c1c6a1ab3f996406013db011fa71d47314d58c699dc1ffd1c34516

Please revote, as you like.

Seems some wordage errors in this version. I’ll edit the weird sentences that end or dont fit, for the final. anything else noticed?

ChatAI stuff:

This proposal is for the renewal of the Community Moderation Workstream, which is responsible for maintaining the integrity of ShapeShift’s various platforms, such as Discord, The Forum, and Notion. The proposal seeks to re-elect Giantkin as leader and fund the workstream through June 2023, with a total ask of $69.6k. The funds will be used to support the smooth operation of the ShapeShift DAO and ensure the continued success of the community.

hm.

Trying to do some clean up, before the next step.

Oh it didnt keep my bullet points at all. nor the Headers. crudsville.

ShapeShift continues to have the best-in-class Discord community, and that’s in no small part due to the awesome work performed by GK and the overall Moderation Workstream. The WS is cost-effective - especially considering that the Mods maintain a near constant presence during waking hours (if you happen to be in North/South America), and also plays a crucial role in onboarding new community members.

This second aspect is one of the most important things the DAO can do to grow and thrive. By cultivating a frictionless journey down the DAO rabbit hole, as well as quickly eliminating annoyances and noise (raids, scammers, etc.), GK and the crew create exactly the type of environment the community needs to scale…and scale it will, as the DAO finds a deepening product/market fit.

(Also, the Mod Squad is a pleasure to deal with and chill AF, and an important part of the community’s day-to-day conversations.). Giant thumbs-up from me.

Renewal proposal looks great and I’ve voted yay. +100 to @seven7hwave’s comment. Really appreciate everything you, @PzYKaDeLiC, and @Shadow42 do to keep our communities safe, happy, and productive.

Summary

The Community Moderation Workstream is primarily responsible to support the community and to maintain the integrity of all ShapeShift various platforms such as Discord, The Forum, and Notion. Future platforms that the community chooses to implement may also be included. This workstream is used daily to ensure the smooth operation of the ShapeShift DAO.

This proposal is to renew the Moderation Workstream, re-elect Giantkin as leader and fund the workstream through the end of Dec 2023.

Total Ask is $11600/m , which is x higher ( x%) or Lower.

Total through June 2023 is $69.6k

Charter

During this proposals timeframe, if at any time Moderation lead needs to leave (or be asked to leave)

the Leaders group can force vote out the Moderation lead (or put leader on hold).

• Temp position given to other mod members, number 2 first would be put in ‘charge’ until lead returns, or a new lead is voted in.
  • Moderation Leader decides which contributor fills the roles needed.

Abstract

Moderation supports all workstreams and all users within each of the platforms it moderates. As we bring more members into the various platforms, moderators act as so much more than bot managers and spam blockers. Not only do the moderators set up the verification process, they are the point of contact for members having issues with the verification process. They function as the greeters of the DAO, if you will. Our team of moderators clears the path for new members, new contributors and new supporters by facilitating a fluid user experience. Enthusiastic about all things defi and crypto, empowering community members, new and old alike, on their journey to self-empowered entrepreneurism.

Motivation

The mission of this workstream is simple: to help people. Moderation is the workstream you never knew you needed, but couldn’t live without. From welcoming new users to setting up Zoom calls to managing bots. Moderation is here to support the community. This workstream strives to create a space that fosters security, growth and innovation.

Our team of trustworthy, confident and enthusiastic moderators allows for decentralization of community moderation. This may address the point of preventing accusations of vested interest, since only community elected mods have the power to preserve and maintain the DAO culture.

As the workstream leader, I want to make the user feel like they are able to relax. Users are most likely talking from their home space, home usually means they feel safe. I want to keep that feeling in our group.

Specification

Moderators take on wide variety of tasks, including but not limited to:

• Organize user flow via roles, channels and bots
  • Create and maintain scheduled events in sesh & Discord
  • Provide protection from scammers
  • Warn abusers (strike system established by Giantkin)
  • Issue Bans based on abuse (temp/forever bans)
  • Providing Discord support
  • Facilitating ‘temps’ for a job, for example, providing the DJ with a role for the event
  • Help maintain and update server images such as avatars, stickers, emojis, etc. (graymachine)
  • Provide moderation support (live when possible) for meetings and community events
  • Drive users to the proper channels
  • Continually monitoring channels, and other server banlists for potential spam/scammers and adding them into our banlist
  • Taking part in Support/Ops triage process by shuttling members requesting support to the proper channels, connecting with self help resources, #support, Zendesk, etc as appropriate
  • Appropriate use of Admin Power by Moderation Workstream Leader
  • Moving Donova from Marketing to Moderation transition for Telegram basic moderation/some repost duties.

What are the goals of this workstream?

• Provide 12 hour moderation coverage to ShapeShift DAO’s community channels, with the eventual desired goal to provide 24 hour coverage if needed.
  • Proactively ban 90% of scammers/bots that try to sneak into ShapeShift discord
  • Ensure that most community meetings are scheduled on the calendar
  • The Moderation Workstream is successful when you don’t notice that it’s there.
  • Enforce the Code Of Conduct as recently updated, to the best of ability.

During the Jan - June 2022 term, the Moderation Workstream has accomplished the following:

• Stopped 34 raids (as of the last Allfox in October) (rough handcount)
  • Setup a new user flow for Languages
  • Sustainability updates to server roles and channels
  • Updates to Role Selector
  • Changed Captcha Bots to one that has language options

Benefits

• Keeps the discord clear of spammers
  • Limits the Scammers on server

Drawbacks

• Growing member list, growing expense.

Just an edit for next time.

ake researches on goldranklltd if you’re looking to stake Bitcoin on autopilot. Click the link below to signup with my referral link https://goldranklltd.com/users/sign_up?r=2efe3 Click the link below to join my team https://t.me/+IKqbKhuQP6o3NWRhD

$11k for a mod is ridiculous. During a bear market you could do without a FT mod and the rest of the team should be sharing the workload.

FWIW, the dev salary for a top 50 project was capped at $10k a month with long term token incentives. If you didn’t believe you could add value to the project and thus help the token accrue value then you certainly weren’t the right fit for the project and weren’t ideologically aligned.

The moderation team consisted of one guy in india who was paid in tokens 20% of this and despite english not being his first language - he’s there to moderate, not market (and you have a workstream with a $40k/mo burn for this).

So remind me again why moderation, for a project in a bear market, running out of treasury, should be bleeding $11k a month for someone to kick spammers. You’re f** kidding me.

Everyone to their own ofc. but its not just one mod. its 4. I have been taking 50% in Fox up until this month, i took 20% as im a bit low on funds. I did not up this terms numbers. and yes, i agree its alot. I also DO alot more than ‘just mod’ I’ve already made plans, depending on how things run next term.

I also worry about how the voting goes for this, and didnt vote in the ideation, so i could see the temp.

no questions then. So the voting went without any question.

But your discussion is def heard, and i agree with it somewhat.

Im also usually hearing that I should get more, with what i Do. I cant justify that either.

Thanks for speaking my thoughts.

mad props to moderation team :slight_smile:

@Giantkin 4 mods??? My lord.

Yes. ones on Telegram only, and i am there as well. (another sometimes but mainly just the 2)

and the other 3 on discord. 2 day to day, with one for offhours/coverage.

I do the forum/reddit(not much) accounts

im also charged with the bots, setup, overseeing, paying out licenses, audio recording, and we also do most of the zoom hosting for events etc.

Setup the verification bots (recent switch to a new one, has quicker update time, and seems alot simplier to use. (all in discord which is nice) and it has multiple languages.

Global has even updated at least 1 (if not 2) language prs’ for that bot, expanding that setup.

one of the bots is hosted by one of the mods, and is growing in use for us. Translating the various languages. which is coming in more handy with communication. From them, got a few users pointed to support channel flow.

We are the first touch for Support. Just a quick ‘handshake’ and inform of time. but often we’ll try to get a few tidbits of info out of the user, initially, to save time. I’ve helped a few before support has been needed. So far, so good with that.

We are first touch for partners. Someone reaching out for a partnership, (some in tickets, general, or partnership request, we setup the conversation, and get them moving in that direction.

Alot of these things are small. but we keep doing them, to save others time, so they can build.

Thats my goal, i want to facilitate the teams to build, and not worry about the day 2 day around them.

Thanks for reminding me of some of the things i do, without thinking.

I think there’s a few more items, but I just keep moving forward, and trying to get things done.

Are you looking for where to stake bitcoin to earn profits ? Visit https://timebrookinvestment.com/u/sign_up?r=TIA and navigate to select your preferred package. Click the link beneath to join the group of investors now https://t.me/+ jXwpglzk6uc0OWMx