Announcing my candidacy for Engineering Workstream Leader

I would like to announce to the DAO community my interest in filling the position of Engineering Workstream Leader.

A brief summary of my qualifications are:

• 18 years of professional programming experience
  • 4 years of engineering leadership experience
  • 5 years of experience at ShapeShift
  • Certified leadership training from Agile Leadership
  • Involved with cryptocurrency since 2010

I would love to answer any questions the community has for me.

5 Likes

DAO Vision

The ShapeShift DAO started with a vision to build a company and product based on the core principles behind the blockchain, namely decentralization.

Much discussion was had in those early days about how to decentralize both the governing structure of the business as well as the product itself. From those discussions was born the DAO and, what was originally known as, FOXChain.

DAO governance would be decentralized by issuing FOX tokens so that anyone could participate.

FOXChain will incentivize operators to run blockchain nodes and manage the Unchained abstraction layer. ShapeShift would no longer be the centralized host of its data; instead it will allow anyone to host pieces of blockchain data and contribute to a decentralized system.

I believe in decentralization

The DAO is structured differently that traditional businesses and corporations. Just as cryptocurrency was designed to buck the system and show a better way forward than centralized, government controlled banking, the “Distributed Autonomous Organization” is designed to show a different, and potentially better, way forward for business.

I asked ChatGPT to define a DAO:

A DAO, or Distributed Autonomous Organization, is an organization represented by rules encoded as a computer program that is transparent, controlled by organization members, and not influenced by a central government. It operates on a blockchain, allowing for decentralized decision-making and execution of smart contracts.

When asked about leadership structure in DAOs, ChatGPT responded:

Common leadership structures in DAOs often include decentralized decision-making mechanisms… These structures aim to distribute power and decision-making among participants, aligning with the decentralized nature of DAOs.

A core principle of a DAO is “decentralized decision-making”. The FOX token empowers anyone to influence the direction of the business and products.

This structure is the opposite of traditional “dictator” style leadership in which one person is expected to have expert knowledge about the entire business and direct it without question.

Expert vs Catalyst

I’d like to talk about two different leadership styles, “Expert” and “Catalyst”.

To illustrate this principle, I’d like to refer you an 8 minute YouTube video “Leadership on a Submarine”.

On another submarine, there was one guy giving orders, one guy thinking, and 134 people doing what they’re told. I don’t care how smart you are. On my submarine I have 135 thinking, active, passionate, creative, proactive, taking initiative people. It’s a tidal wave, you don’t stand a chance.

I believe this illustrates a difference between top-down “expert” leadership, and bottom-up “catalyst” leadership.

It is my opinion that bringing together many opinions, experiences, and thoughts will result in a more optimal outcome than relying on a single leader.

As a Workstream Leader, my goal would be to foster a collaborative environment, one in which everyone feels comfortable expressing their opinion. I want to everyone to feel excitement and ownership when working on the product. I want everyone to know that they all bring something to the table. I want people to respect others and feel respected, especially when there is disagreement.

Leaders have to make decisions, but they don’t have to make them on their own. They can be informed by the experience and skill of those around them.

4 Likes

Thanks for putting this together @Major_Hayes! A few questions for you.

Since you’re already very familiar with ShapeShift, I’m interested in hearing what you think about the way that the engineering department has operated in the past and if there’s anything you’d like to see change.

Are there any specific policies you’d like to implement or technical issues you plan to pursue immediately?

What draws you back to the DAO?

What will you look for in future engineering hires?

Is there anything else that you think the DAO should be doing from a business strategy perspective to succeed financially?

1 Like

Since you’re already very familiar with ShapeShift, I’m interested in hearing what you think about the way that the engineering department has operated in the past and if there’s anything you’d like to see change.

I haven’t interacted with the Engineering Workstream for about a year. I wouldn’t presume to know enough about their current process and culture to suggest any immediate changes.

I will say that I appreciate and agree with how centralized ShapeShift changed its engineering department several years ago. The entire department attended several all-day meetings over a period of months in which everyone was given free reign to voice their frustrations, anger, concerns, and suggestions.

Leadership listened to everything and came up with a proposed changes that addressed the most important issues. This created a new culture where people felt their voice was heard and valued because real change happened.

I would want to hear from everyone on the team about what is working well and what isn’t and solicit suggestions and feedback, as well as offer my own suggestions, and try to find consensus on what, if any, changes would need to be made.

Are there any specific policies you’d like to implement or technical issues you plan to pursue immediately?

My opinion is that ShapeShift will grow as people learn to trust the product. Establishing trust with users is paramount to retaining those users that we have acquired. It’s always easier, and cheaper, to keep a user than to gain a user.

I would prioritize the safety of user funds above all else. Once a reputation is formed that you cannot trust ShapeShift with your money, that will be the beginning of the end. People must trust that the platform will not cause them to lose access to their funds.

What draws you back to the DAO?

I have very fond memories of time years at ShapeShift, not just of the product, but of the people. I miss the passion that everyone had about what we were building and how it could help people. I miss the constantly evolving ecosystem and the constant learning about new protocols, chains, and technologies.

Despite being away for a year, I still have a desire to see the vision and product, that I spent so much time working, succeed.

What will you look for in future engineering hires?

Given our remote environment, the candidate would need to be able to be productive without constant oversight. I would definitely not be happy with someone that’s “just in it for the paycheck”.

There needs to be a balance between having skills to “hit the ground running” and experience with and passion for crypto. I would want someone that is thoughful but also pragmatic, one that has experience to share but that can also disagree and commit.

Is there anything else that you think the DAO should be doing from a business strategy perspective to succeed financially?

This is a good question. If you haven’t already, please watch the submarine video from my original post.

I believe that a big benefit of a DAO is that there are many people with many different skills and expertise. My expertise is in building software solutions. I don’t have much experience with marketing, or UI design, or developing product roadmaps.

The answer to your question is no… I don’t know what the best strategy would be. I wish I did know! I do know that we can look into the past, including centralized ShapeShift, to evaluate what has worked and what hasn’t.

I certainly would want to participate in discussions about the best way forward, but, in the end, the business strategy of the DAO is one that is set via governance by the DAO members, and everyone with FOX tokens should feel that they are able to contribute to that vision and strategy.

3 Likes