Curate and propose a product roadmap based on research, user feedback/behavior, future market opportunities, and informed vision. Align with the mission and goals of the ShapeShift DAO and other workstreams for efficient execution.
- Goal 1 Execute on a Calculated Portfolio of bets
- Goal 2 Retention 🔂 Revenue & User growth
- Goal 3 Mandated Metrics & Measurement
- Goal 4 Experiment more
- Goal 5 Talk to our users
- Goal 6 Assist Grants Partnerships
As a product-centric DAO, the Product Workstream is accountable for a number of activities: cross workstream alignment on execution, retaining/acquiring users, growing the FOX ecosystem, speccing/launching new product lines, and achieving Shapeshift’s mission. A YES vote for this renewal is continuing support for the strategy of a portfolio & the bets within, plus the prioritization of the current roadmap.
We’ve included a budget renewal with only three addendums: one for team software, one for an event or two, and a FOX hedgey allocation for the work stream leader. This is a minimal cost adjustment monthly, but since it’s a 6 month budget may give some sticker shock.
Instead of a post with repeating details you can find all specifications in the posts about the Portfolio of bets. Feel free to dig into the tomes here. We track our goals at every office hours improving our documentation, rigor, and velocity.
Expect a cycle for planning for the q4 roadmap and then a set of goal refreshes by EOY.
- Prioritize and adjust the roadmap with cross workstream alignment.
- Analyzing and surfacing new revenue streams that are not listed yet in the roadmap, but reporting back to the community with more details.
- Coordinating research and resourcing in partnership with the FOX foundation
- Organizing and running the Monday afternoon roadmap and timeline meeting and coordinating with product and engineering throughout the week to remove blockers, assist with product related decisions and keep things moving through the feature development process and Product/Engineering status updates throughout the week.
- Product/Engineering representation at the Weekly Ops Sprint.
- Facilitate bi-weekly office hours to provide updates on progress, report on KPIs, and offer space to the community to ask questions, give feedback, and pitch ideas.
- Draft product specs, review with Beard regarding designs, work with ENG workstream to evaluate engineering resources, and iterate the feature development process.
- FBL will also spend a significant effort in defining core engagement loops & behaviors for users on Shapeshift, working backwards to activation moments to surface quick wins for development.
- Orthogonal to this is identifying user buckets or personas, working with marketing and other workstreams.
- Hosting and Leading Spec kickoffs/spikes/breakdowns between Product and Engineering.
- Spinning up regular retros (at either phase completion or large feature completeness)
- Leading and continuing all scheduled team syncs and 1-on-1s.
- Managing Budget and workstream contributor payments made through Colony.
- Coordinating strategy sessions, touchpoint, and retros for launches. Facilitating where necessary.
Quick list of things we said we’d do that we did:
Arranging phase 2 strategy talks, and getting the Phase 2 roadmap proposal posted to the forum and moved through governance. see roadmap on portfolio of bets post
- FBL will provide additional scope to the workstream lead role by synthesizing strategic outcomes for the product team, making phase 2 a reality, and guiding more day-to-day improvements for efficiency and alignment across workstreams. 🤷 ✅
- Organizing and running the Monday afternoon roadmap and timeline meeting and coordinating with product and engineering throughout the week to remove blockers, assist with product related decisions and keep things moving through the feature development process and Product/Engineering status updates throughout the week. ✅
- Product/Engineering representation at the Weekly Ops Sprint. ✅
Budget and team
The Product workstream will consist of 4 members. 3 full-time and 1 part-time.
The additional addendums are a modest stipend for two events & earmarked SaaS budget:
- current funds: [$1248] —> continue holding funds in colony until we negotiate with zenhub or linear for annual plan.
- Additional earmarks: Figma [$65 a mo for the team] (one more thing im forgetting)
- Events ?? ---WIP
I mentioned in the last post:
I’ll be taking full stables for the first few months, at which point I’ll propose taking a portion in time-locked FOX on our next budget renewal. Skin in the game folks.
I’ve proposed a modest FOX addendum for myself, 1k a month and locked as a 6 month hedgey for each disbursal. This represents an additional 6k over the term of the team, and only a 1k FOX increase spend per month (about $480 per month in equity to the workstream lead ). I encourage anyone to let me know if that is on brand with workstream leaders compensation, I hope my value to the DAO has been obvious so far and this is ok!
The total budget breakdown
The monthly September - February budget breakdown will be:
35,880.00 FOX (including $2400 in FOX for user testing, not monthly since we haven’t disbursed all of this yet)
This is the previous total budget:
Apple to apples in monthly cost (thanks @Fireb0mb1 ) the change to the DAO topline is 3% per month. Comparing the cost for the 6 month original cost term versus 4 month term is 16% total increase.
Ships the portfolio of bets, gets the next roadmap iterated, continues to build our two main focus initiatives: the API and the frontend. Unlocks new features, continues alignment with a strategic lens, and continues execution of the product team’s goals.
We’re moving with more rigor so we aren’t shipping as many shiny features. Monetization experiments might be murky to communicate.