[SCP-TBD] Addendum to SCP-91: Proposal for @Tyler | ShapeShift to become interim Marketing Workstream Leader

This proposal is an Addendum to [SCP-91] and would replace and resolve any outstanding obligations and budgets outlined within the previously passed proposal for the budget outlined below that now extends to mirror the timeline of [SCP-94]. The goal of this addendum is to maintain an interim workstream leader in Marketing and provide support, structure and accountability until a full-time Workstream Leader can be identified, proposed, and voted in.

PROPOSAL DESCRIPTION

Summary:

In accordance with SCP-91, the current interim Workstream Leader () has her term ending completely on 9/1/22. There has not been a suitable replacement that has been identified or proposed. Lindsay, with the support of the entire Marketing Workstream, approached Tyler to step in as interim Workstream Leader in order to prevent the workstream from going leaderless, and to help provide support in admin, organizational structure, task management, KPI and project tracking and development, until such time that a new Workstream leader can be selected and integrated.

Motivation:

The Marketing Workstream has begun to make strides in capabilities in strategy through tools like Pendo and unlocked permissions and access to other tools that help inform data based, customer inspired decisions around the ShapeShift DAO and product suite. With end dates of the current interim Workstream leader fast approaching, bringing Tyler | ShapeShift in as the new interim workstream leader and extending the Marketing Workstream term to mirror the current Operations Workstream term, provides extended runway for the DAO to help find a new Workstream Leader for Marketing (SCP-91 ends its term on 11/1/22, SCP-94 ends its term on 1/31/23). It provides the workstream with an interim leader with a proven track record in the DAO that can keep the team focused, on task, connected, supported, and paid with little to no disruption to current Marketing operations.

Tyler is approaching this with the acknowledgement that Marketing plays an important Operational role within the DAO and needs representation while continuing to search for a talented marketing representative willing to take on the task full time. As the Operations Workstream Leader, his attention to detail, experience in management, and complex procedure and system development will provide interem help in key areas through process and structure. These practices include: cost analysis, budgeting, further development of team agreements, job expectations and descriptions, continuing building workflow procedures and documentation, and finally working to grow and develop data discovery around customer acquisition costs, user metrics, and other frameworks for measuring campaign impacts, press release reach, and other insights. With this acknowledgement, Tyler plans to align with the drafted strategy, outlined by Lindsay and vetted by other workstream leaders, and will communicate and advise actively with the current Marketing Workstream Contributors and DAO community members to address and iterate success into the strategy of Marketing in the DAO.

Finding a replacement for the interim leader will be a top priority, and a committee or group of advisors will be formed to help field candidates, hold interviews, and find a new fulltime Workstream Leader. Having an extended deadline to find the right future workstream leader can provide more assurances to the DAO that we have adequate time to find the perfect fit. If a new Workstream Leader is not selected by the end of the new proposed term limit, a new proposal will be required for renewal of the stream and Interim Workstream Leader.

Specification

This proposal addendum identifies Tyler | ShapeShift as the new Interim Marketing Workstream Leader. Tyler will assume all Workstream Leader responsibilities as outlined in [SCP-92] for the Marketing Workstream while continuing his obligations as the Operations Workstream leader, splitting focus and time. There is a strong acknowledgement that this proposal is made more possible by the Operations Workstream contributors stepping up to take on delegated tasks and responsibilities.

This proposal extends the current Marketing Workstream term to the end of January 2023.

This proposal will begin a search for a new Marketing Workstream leader to be identified and integrated, and upon transition, Tyler will wind down interim responsibilities and resume full focus back to the Operations Workstream.

Budget

In order to shore up outstanding obligations outside of the future monthly budget with this transition, there are some line items that have been added to the budget request for this proposal alongside the monthly budget.

The obligations are 2 line items for press releases that have either already happened or are committed to, the back pay of a contributor from 7/15-8/15, and payment for the rest of the month of August for the contributors- aligning Marketing and Operations to be on the same pay period.

Outstanding Obligations:

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/standard10/uploads/foxcookieco/optimized/1X/e93132b05c70e0708f22f44ec9fa8a95e5b2ae86_2_624x204.png

There are also some changes that have been made to the monthly budget that are documented and explained below:

SCP-91:

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/standard10/uploads/foxcookieco/optimized/1X/d824b69f9089dd38f3fd97c68c97dc9a9981996b_2_624x201.png

SCP-TBD:

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/standard10/uploads/foxcookieco/optimized/1X/54ffb8f7cf04a142e0df54587a9703eaa70ca54e_2_624x263.png

Notably, there is no longer a $6,000 bounty line item to pay for misc needs, contributors, and to be used for all press releases and ad spend. The bounty amount has instead been broken down into line items more directly labeled to their actual spend requirements as expressed by previous leadership. There is still a Misc. fund for ad hoc requests, but it is much smaller than the previous bounty line item to rediscover additional unallocated spends. Line items have been added for 2 PR releases a month, 2 campaigns worth of digital ad spend, monthly promotional giveaways, and 2 contributors that were paid out of the bounty funds.

There is also room for one new hire Marketing Contributor that is currently allocated 100% in USDC. This role would initially be a jack-of-all-trades marketing position that can assist in partnership communication, social campaigns, digital ad and email copy, press release content creation, and more. The hiring process for this role will commence shortly after this proposal passes.

The proposed budget looks to focus on accountability with continuing metrics around monthly spend that can be compared and related to user analytics while working to offer clarity and actionable data around previous pain points in budgeting that have been highlighted from previous Workstream leaders without a need for contributors providing out of pocket. If this budget proves that additional spend is required, a new proposal backed with data from this proposal’s budget and spending impact will be submitted to the community to meet the budgetary needs in a transparent process.

For maintaining the responsibilities outlined within this proposal, Tyler will be asking for $5,000 FOX locked for 1 year. This is 1/3 of what was allotted previously for the Workstream Leader and 100% in FOX with a 1 year lock. With Lindsay stepping down at the end of the month but winding down interim leadership responsibilities on the 15th, Tyler will be assuming a seamless transition and have the second half of the month for any complications in transition. This is reflected in pay in the August backpay outlined in the first budget graph.

Monthly Totals:

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/standard10/uploads/foxcookieco/optimized/1X/01f58babed3f94cc4764564313465522e30b41cb_2_624x177.png

The monthly spend of the Marketing Workstream would be reduced from $54,400 to $41,100 (25% reduction) with the monthly totals in USDC and FOX being $29,000 and $12,100 respectively. The total spend for this 6 month proposal would be $233,750

Benefits:

This proposal keeps an interim leader at the helm of the Marketing Workstream that has the full backing and support from this workstream with a proven track record for management and overseeing complicated and complex processes. This also provides support and a longer timeline for finding a fulltime replacement Workstream Leader.

Drawbacks

Tyler | ShapeShift will be operating as a Workstream Leader for 2 workstreams for a limited amount of time.

I disagree–marketing creates all of the materials the entire organization uses, including LatAm–core launch materials for every launch, including press releases, blogs, social, etc., which LatAm can just translate and use, freeing them to do more innovative and regionally specific things. We provide the core work that is required for any region that supports the DAO, and at the same time created the first full, articulated marketing strategy tied to revenue, with tactical roadmap and metrics that I have seen–including at centralized. We passed on partnerships and Web3 once we moved to a total of 3 people plus design assistance, and still maintained a very high level of output and quality.

I’m obviously in support of this proposal. I believe this is the best solution going forward, to ensure continuity and minimal disruption in our workflow.

While Tyler is not a Marketer, he is a great leader all round and would be able to provide support/guidance where needed, assist with budget management and other leadership responsibilities. Myself and are pretty self-sufficient and are able to run marketing operations undisrupted. We have never missed a deadline/launch day or any important event.

Additionally, the Marketing Workstream already works with Operations on our review process, which has proven to be successful and aligned our comms across the DAO in terms of product launches. Since the Operations Workstream is familiar with our processes, we feel this is the best thing moving forward.

Thanks to we have a great marketing strategy, which aligns with the goals of the DAO and other Workstreams. We will continue to deliver and ensure the highest quality of work is produced.

I disagree with your statement of and I having no education or formal experience in marketing and I will do my best to substantiate that response without totally doxxing myself.

I have a degree in business and communications from one of the top business schools in the United States. While I am indeed relatively “fresh out of university”, I have been continuing my formal marketing education through pursuing various certificates and professional development courses during my time here (out of my own pocket largely) that have continued to stretch and improve my ability as a marketing and business professional. I think the increase in quality and quantity of my work for this DAO over the 8 months that I have been here reflects such growth and speaks for itself.

Prior to my employment here, I headed a number of marketing initiatives for two other international businesses that ended up being relatively successful–partially because of the marketing groundwork that I laid during my time there with my team. This marketing employment lasted for 3 years prior to my time here at ShapeShift and built up a number of my skills and abilities that directly translate to my work here.

During my employment at this DAO (as well as the other companies I have done marketing for before here), I have had the pleasure of working with and under some absolutely brilliant marketing minds–such as yourself, , and . I would like to think that during that time I picked up (and continue to pick up) some really great bits on how to exist in this space as a successful marketer. I think that quantifies as education albeit not formalized or certified.

I will not speak on behalf of Arina as to respect her privacy, voice, and agency of sharing; but I know of her background, education, and experience and believe it has greatly contributed to our success and synergy as a team.

To clarify, my last day is this Friday, Aug 19; but I will be around to answer questions and support transition through the 1st.

Thank you for stepping into this interim role . You, , and the contributing team have my support! Looking forward to discussing strategy tomorrow with you and

While I definitely understand the need to stay lean, cutting the bounties budget completely (or using it only for PRs / ads) seems like a missed opportunity. Bounties aren’t just for ad hoc requests but also for creating a highly engaged and motivated community. And some of these people may end up amazing contributors in the future if given the right chance and opportunity.

I’m obviously biased with Share, but this is less about using a specific tool. I do think that using a tool, that can provide the needed visibility (as you also mentioned) is important. Both for ShapeShift and the contributors themselves, who I believe will take the work even more seriously knowing it’s all on-chain and part of their reputation.

And I don’t think it requires significant funds to start. Even a $1-2k budget will go a long way!

I support this proposal as it gives the existing team a chance to continue delivering on the goals set out by previous leadership all the while alleviating the stress of getting stuck in a limbo or for the DAO to have to find a new WS leader under time constraints.

I completely support this proposal…thanks for the thought and effort behind it . And props to , , and the other marketing badasses who have been doing an awesome job. And of course a giant shout-out to for her great contributions to the DAO.

I also love how Tyler is proposing receiving extra comp in time-locked FOX. Well played!

One thing i think should be said… dont think we should count on the Fox payout for each contrib in the line item. as its flexible. just sticking with the 100% usdc value and if the contrib chooses at payout a % of fox, then we gain. (imo)

Hey ,

Thanks for your advocacy around bounty work, I also really value the utility, function and growth engine bounties can have for the DAO and the community!

In my opinion, bounty systems work best when they are well directed, administered, and properly updated regularly with new tasks. We have a pretty solid process for bountying Engineering work in the DAO that has been developed and iterated to get to that place and we are still improving and making changes to it every week.

I had a meeting with you about Share and hope we can find some more ways to synergize our current and future bounty offerings through Share soon. At the current time of discovery in Marketing’s needs, I believe there is some foundational documentation, procedures, and practices that need to be developed, built, or restructured to help maintain and scale the success, and functional ability of the workstream before we can commit the same level of financing to bounties and expect value.

This process of discovery of need will no doubt lead to tasks and responsibilities that could find themselves being best addressed via bounty work, and the smaller bounty line item in this budget can be used to facilitate the tasks until we find that we have more tasks than budget and reasses.

Previously the larger bounty line item was a combination of contributor pay, PR and digital ad spend, and giveaway campaign funds. After talking with previous leadership and in separating those line items out, I hope to actually have a solid plan to action for maintaining reliable funding for bounty work. Bounties are still very much a part of the future of scalability of the DAO and marketing will most definitely be engaging in future bounties when we’re been able to address stability around marketing’s bounty process, expectations, and tasks available.

There are many focuses this workstream will be prioritizing in terms of building a more scalable and transparent system, I know that bounty work is something that is on the list to revisit and build better systems for work, workflow, and bounty management in the near future.

Thanks!

I have been acting with the understanding that the FOX %'s that are provided in the budget are not ones that are flexible to decrease and add more USDC to the budget each month.

I have had conversations with the team members around changing %s of FOX/USDC through Sobol as other workstreams practice, but have gotten firm commitments on the % of FOX that will be locked up and am operating under the assumption that any future changes in FOX % in this proposed term would be to increase the amount of FOX%, not decrease below what is being presented.

wow, ok. Thanks for that!

Thanks , I appreciate the support and glad to see we’re aligned.

I’ve seen other DAOs start bounties without much planning and the results, expectedly, were mixed, so I definitely appreciate the thoughtfulness. My only concern is that there is no timeline here and this might drag out if it’s not top of mind (that’s just life…).

To ensure we’ll move forward, maybe we can set a deadline, like 09/30? So by October, either we have the procedures to continue, or we just set a budget and kick it off?

• 3 for 1 special!

Re: whether FOX %s in a budget are flexible:

• It depends on the wording.
  • If a proposal explicitly commits to a max USDC spend or to permanent FOX %, then those FOX % would indeed be locked in.
  • Otherwise, any % of the total approved budget can be requested in either unlocked FOX or boosted FOX.
  • The wording in the proposal could be more explicit, but this comment clarifies that the max USDC % of budget is capped at $29k/mo.

I agree with

1. ’s suggestion to allocate some FOX for growth-related bounties, but understand that this is easier said than done. I don’t think we need to rush into this to your point, but do like the idea of setting a goal to establish a process and experiment with some bounties. I think have a unique opportunity to leverage the community to attract more users while also rewarding them with ownership, and would hate to see us miss this.

I’m in full support of this proposal and appreciate you stepping up to take on this additional responsibility . Also appreciate and @danovaex for running a lean, mean marketing machine. I look forward to seeing continued optimizations and execution of the strategy laid out by

1. and the stream.

Well, what about doing the obvious solution. after we get things established ofc. but setup x bounty funds for all setups. IE: a pool of funds. whatever that number is, we add 20% to it, as a monthly …top up. or, we could split it out between the bounty systems, based on that same setup. with that 20% available for growth. every 3 months we can reevaluate it. maybe a subdao for that entire thing? i’d be down for that. (bit rambly there sry)

:disguised_face:

Not sure im ready for that.