Moderation Workstream Jan -Jun 2024
2024 Jul-Dec Moderation Workstream Renewal
The Community Moderation Workstream is primarily responsible to support the community and to maintain the integrity of all ShapeShift various platforms such as Discord, The Forum, and Notion, snapshot, and any/all others. Future platforms that the community chooses to implement also to be included. This workstream is used daily to ensure the smooth operation of the ShapeShift DAO.
This proposal is to renew the Moderation Workstream, re-elect Giantkin as leader and fund the workstream through the end of Jun 2024.
Total Ask is $11600/month. (unchanged)
Normal USDC monthly is $6410 (depending on Fox choice, November 2023 $6010 for example) some of which is for licenses/botspends that stay in ws treasury, and if unused per term, set aside as possible (small)bounty item, roll over to next Term (stays in Moderation subtreasury until dissolved, bountied, or too large - then revert to Treasury.
- No other Proposals past/future are to affect this proposal.
During the proposal run, if at any time Moderation lead needs to leave (or be asked to leave)
the Leaders group can force vote out the Moderation lead (or put leader on hold). No other method. (voluntary step down, and hand off being ideal)
Temp position given to other mod members, number 2 first would be put in ‘charge’ until lead returns, or a new lead is voted in.
- Hiring/firing is solely based on the Moderation leads decision. Based on discussions, Total amount for proposal will be listed, without breakdown, in proposal, but in other places instead.
Moderation supports all workstreams and all users within each of the platforms it moderates. As we bring more members into the various platforms, moderators act as so much more than bot managers and spam blockers. Not only do the moderators set up the verification process, they are the point of contact for members having issues with the verification process. They function as the greeters of the DAO, if you will. Our team of moderators clears the path for new members, new contributors and new supporters by facilitating a fluid user experience. Enthusiastic about all things defi and crypto, empowering community members, new and old alike, on their journey to self-empowered entrepreneurism.
The mission of this workstream is simple: to help people. Moderation is the workstream you never knew you needed, but couldn’t live without. From welcoming new users to setting up calls to managing bots. Moderation is here to support the community. This workstream strives to create a space that fosters security, growth and innovation.
Our team of trustworthy, confident and enthusiastic moderators allows for decentralization of community moderation. This may address the point of preventing accusations of vested interest, since only community elected mods have the power to preserve and maintain the DAO culture.
As the workstream leader, I want to make the user feel like they are able to relax. Users are most likely talking from their home space, home usually means they feel safe. I want to keep that feeling in our group.
Moderators take on wide variety of tasks, including but not limited to:
Organize user flow via roles, channels and bots
- Create and maintain scheduled events in sesh & Discord
- Provide protection from scammers
- Warn abusers (strike system established by Giantkin)
- Providing basic Discord support
- Facilitating ‘temps’ for a job, for example, providing the DJ with a role for the event
- Help maintain and update server images such as avatars, stickers, emojis, etc. (Emptyslot)
- Provide security support (live when possible) for meetings and community events
- Drive users to the proper channels
- Continually monitoring channels, and other server banlists for potential spam/scammers and adding them into our banlist
- Taking part in Support/Ops triage process by shuttling members requesting support to the proper channels, connecting with self help resources, #support,chatwoot, etc as appropriate
- Appropriate use of Admin Power by Moderation Workstream Leader
- Work with Admins to facilitate bots/webhooks/roles/channels/categories -servers/platforms etc
- Enforce the Current Code of Conduct to the best of ability, with positive intent.
What are the goals of this workstream?
Provide 12 hour moderation coverage to ShapeShift DAO’s community channels, with the eventual goal to provide 24 hour coverage
- Proactively ban 90% of scammers/bots that try to sneak into ShapeShift discord
- Ensure that all community meetings are scheduled on the calendar
- The Moderation Workstream is successful when you don’t notice that it’s there.
- During the Jul - Dec 2023 term, the Moderation Workstream has accomplished the following:
Sustainability updates to server roles and channels
- Few problems known.
- Tested, added removed tools reporting bots (boardroom vs snapshot for example)
- Gated bot installs with higher perms than needed.
- installed tested Galxe,zealy, and guild bot setups.
- setup missions for all 3bots above. galxe-giuld bot have interconnected missions (see global)
- overwatched forum setup, and growth.
- watched 14,000+ users in discord!
- Added Websupport, for Support use and testing. (removed websupport for rethink)
- Setup Discord ‘Forum’ threads for Stage Events and other meetings. (works great!)
Other items not included but taken on
- Monthly Foxpayout for contributors: maintain and update sheet monthly. Facilitate payout for WS and other groups, as needed/requested : remind WSleaders to update contributors Choice(s), and update their tab. Work with Willy to get things done as timely as possible. -update the fox price on a set schedule/method.
- Praise steward. push for others to use. (slow process!)
- audio record primary meetings - office hours
- Jump into our partners Discords to help setup a basic security process, to help protect our users there.
Keeps the discord clear of spammers
- Limits the Scammers on server
Growing member list, growing expense.