(SCP-141/ Ideation) Globalization WS renewal - Q3 & Q4 2023

Read the incubation post: https://forum.shapeshift.com/thread/incubation-proposal-to-renew-globalization-ws-q3-q4-44939

Summary:

The previous term accomplished significant goals, data reveals that the actions taken by the Globalization Workstream have played a crucial role in maintaining a living Global operation. This proposal ensures Globalization Workstream continuing its work and making further progress in the coming term from Aug/2023 to Jan/2024 (6-months).

Abstract:

• Globalization was able to laverage DAOs new integrations and services, the development of FOXatars, also introduced ShapeShift DAO to new global audience. We are experiencing growth worldwide and its part of Globalization mission bring and support all non-US users coming to our DAO and platform/website.

Past term achievements:

15k identified MAUs

• Language Support
  • Awereness and MKT support
  • FOXatar
  • Strategic events
  • Press-Releases
  • Cross-Workstream support

Motivation:

The Globalization Workstream acknowledges the importance of effective communication, community development, and global brand visibility, extending beyond the United States. Expanding into international markets provides opportunities to tap into a larger user base, particularly in countries that prioritize privacy and open-source code, thus positioning ShapeShift tools as a powerful weapon against censorship. With an increasing demand for crypto expansion in Asia, Africa, and other regions across the globe, the primary objective is diversify the customer user base and identify the best path for DAO international expansion. This goal is achieved through the expertise of our multidisciplinary team, located in Latin America and Europe.

Additional reading: May, 18 - Crypto Adoption is blooming - But not in US or Europe (Cointelegraph)

Specification:

Now that we have identified our user base and their locations using MixPanel, as well as shared team experiences from the past 6 months, we can focus on promoting effective onboarding practices aimed to ramp activity and open a new horizon of donations by creating a global donor profile.

Goals

Pursuit 50k identified MAUs

Leverage ramp practices outside US aiming a 185% growth

A dedicated plan for FOXatars with 78 new assets, tasks ,traits, and start campaings based on levels

• Establish a Global donor user base

Execution - Goals:

We identified 15k MAUs during a 3-month period and all of them are coming from the support that Globalization WS provides. By adopting the Connected Wallet, Trade Confirm, Trade Success as main breaking points the team should identify the right funnel and build focused growth strategies aimed to this conversion level.

• Overall Global ramp events (this includes other countries we dont support) are nearly 350 monthly activities. Its clear we must push these numbers with a new narrative, Copywriting will be reviewed ensuring persuasive arguments on platform and regional landing pages copy as well. New narratives will be turned into campaigns on socials and communities.
  • New FOXatar design plan is timeframed and carries not only 78 new assets but all Globalization WS support on its execution. Each season aims guarantee this specific ShapeShift product life cycle with unique campaigns, the goal should oxygen the project and keep it up by elevating its roadmap to maturity level.
  • Global donor user base is a true challenge, Donor Profile is something different than Crypto Profile. We can find and leverage the right profile by doing creative interventions like support IRL public causes and ignite the Donor Profile spark among our user base.
  • Execution - Team

Weekly team internal syncs + Other Workstreams sync <> Global team

• Every week other Office Hours on Discord with Global WS and Leadership availability for Q&As.
  • Document and present bi-monthly internal analytics about Globalization peformance using MixPanel, also researches about global markets and topics of interest at public DAO meetings using external sources
  • Continue github activity aiming market fit and Global UI tweaks with Firebomb
  • Keep Globalization WS executing cross workstream jobs with Atlan on Design, Guiriba on Copywriting

Team

thesmith - WS Leader. Full time: Responsible for making executive decisions for the team. Acts on all battle fronts along with the co-leader. This profile is extremely communicative and exposed, being able to transit in local markets and establish authority. Should secure and manage the entire WS budget.

vlad - WS Co-Leader. Full time: Performs general management tasks, from contributors to operations. He has a duty to uphold ShapeShift ethos and ensure the ongoing maintenance of the team within the Workstream Leader. He also has as a Leadership profile, being able to perform complex tasks and create strategies for the team.

firebomb - devOps. Part time: Responsible for developing the necessary ecosystem to ensure that our app and landing pages are language-compliant. This involves addressing product and UX aspects and proposing code improvements to enhance functionality. French speaker, Global WS translation flow management.

jpanam- Spanish Coordinator. Full time: Supervises our networks and contributors in Spanish, performs translation and assists in community growth directly by creating content. Spanish team budget management. Availability to regional and international events in Latin America.

joanna - Community. Part time: Available to apply off-the-curve growth strategies. She is focused on developing the Spanish community by managing our Spanish social networks. Joanna is available to regional and international events in Europe being a trilingual speaker: spanish, english and french.

Atlan - Designer. Part time: Dedicated designer with the ability to meet the demands of other workstreams, already performing in this role, and responsible for the artistic conception and production of the FOXatar, Poaps, SM content and more. Atlan also produces assets for our product, such as the FOX Missions page.

guiriba - Content. Part time: Creates content and editorial lines for our growth actions. He is also the source of Portuguese and Spanish content and during the Q1 started to perform in English content. Guiriba also manages the Portuguese Twitter and coordinates all Twitter Spaces there.

Budget

Monthly Breakdown:

Last Term:

$5,585 USDC / $12,252 USD in FOX / Total: $18,150

Next Term:

$4,850 USDC / $13,300 USD in FOX / Total: $18,150

Period:

6-months (Aug 2023/Jan 2024)

Drawbacks

This proposal requests funding from the DAO treasury, keeping in mind that the achievement of goals may be impacted by market movements, such as bear conditions. This is a long-term project although we understand that the runway projections are becoming tight each day.

Benefits

We believe that our goals for global expansion bring benefits to the DAO, as they align with the group’s mission and objectives. The Workstream is actively reducing its USDC request while maintaining a fair and balanced compensation structure. This approach remains the most cost-effective option, costing no more than what a regular single contributor typically demands and delivering a team able to address several demands on DAO’s operations.

Hi, fren.

This is an Ideation phase, it means that everything that was said during the Incubation was taken into account. Now Execution details how we will deliver on our Goals (you gave us constructive insights on this). Important to remember that the proposal process is time phased this means we incubate together the proposal during 5 days and now we should move for another another 5 days stage.

I appreciate your notes and contributions, we remain open for dialogue passing or not. Welcome to our community and lets keep DAOing :slight_smile:

Hi, plagiarism would be taking your sentence verbatim and using it without credit, the sentence seems relatively different and a pretty common for an opening comment (and also was in the original Incubation as far as I can see, before any of your comments were made). I’m also I’m not sure what you’re expecting here, they should include your ideas in the proposal but it’s all of them or none of them? Or they should mention you? :thinking: Do you have plans to claim royalties when this is potentially published for a Final Vote on Snapshot? :sweat_smile:

Sorry if this sounds like I’m calling you out, it’s not my intention, but the paragraph you call “yours” is from a message that really sounds like a summary of the original proposal passed through ChatGPT or another LLM (hence the resemblance between these two sentences actually)… I welcome all kinds of contributions, and interesting things can come from such systems, but it seems odd to claim it as yours in this context.

Anyways, Globalization’s Leadership has no obligation to change their proposal if they don’t want to, they have been listening to the community and their own contributors (I am one of them) each time for their proposals, modified some things, altered their budget, and even completely re-incumbated/re-ideated a proposal once. They clearly do it when they feel it is warranted/needed. Not including your ideas based on your criticism is not an attack against you, it might just not fit their ideas of what the Globalization Workstream should be/do.

You’re obviously free to vote no if you feel that the proposal would not benefit the DAO (actually you’re voting against it being submitted for a vote to the rest of the community that doesn’t use the forums, this is just the Ideation phase). But as you’re new here, I’d like to point out that every FOX holder (with at least 10,000 FOX due to a spam attack, but it can be lowered or exceptions can be made surely) is welcome to make their own proposal (or counter-proposal) with a budget/team/goals. Simply voting “No” is fine obviously, but if you want to actually be productive for the DAO and/or have your ideas heard louder: make your own proposal, and see the reception from the community through votes.

I am in favor of this proposal at the Ideation stage as is. I want the community to vote Yes on this in a Final Vote as I think it benefits the DAO more than the limited cost it implies if we consider the Workstream’s new goals and past term achievements, the share of Global users we already serve and expect the services our Workstream provides for the app (which are by far not “just marketing” as I keep hearing and reading without proper argumentation), the talented people we’d likely lose otherwise, the very limited resources the community is willing to attribute to the Marketing WS and the complemntarity of our two Workstreams. These are the most important aspects for the DAO that this Proposal would preserve if it passed. I also think the people who would want the Workstream removed should present a case for what would fill this void if it was not renewed, it’s much easier to be destructive than it is to be constructive.

Honestly, I cant take this serious. Plagiarism? You just got here. Globalization has been around since mid-SCP-22 and we are in SCP-141. I appreciate constructive dialogue, but deliberate attacks hurt this sacred process. You basically rewrote my own proposal on previous post and said you’d do better, if that’s your potential then do it.

Just be a nice dude when entering a community, fren :slight_smile: I’ll avoid commenting on your posts since we’ve done our best. For others, we are still open to feedback during Ideation.

Peace.

If only we could see fake accounts connected via vpn :)))

It looks like someone released a troll in our governance disguised as friend… but if you are looking for a job in the DAO this is certainly not the right approach. Do you really want to create this circus with two weeks of activity? Yes, you have all rights to voice your concerns youre a FOX holder… however, i guess youre new in the governance process, right? forum flood, meaningless quotes, plagiarism accusation and visibly angry after not getting what you wanted . You are a unique voice let others also speak about the proposal. 1st of all, welcome.

ps. we are not amateurs and I have already made it very clear in previous proposals who is who in this team and what we do. We are also not anonymous, we are loyal AF to ShapeShift. I told i should abstain myself with comments so the stage is yours, fren.

My additional FOX is coming. There will be a counter proposal.

Good, do that, let’s see it. Hopefully you can keep your delusions about “plagiarism” out of it and do better than that ChatGPT post you bizarrely still claim as something original that thesmith would have “plagiarized” before it was even posted.

It is completely within my right as a FOX holder to voice my thoughts on every single proposal.[…]

It is completely within my right as a FOX holder to voice my thoughts on every single proposal. I will continue to do so. If you consider that to be destructive then that’s your prerogative.

Nobody told you otherwise, why are you playing the victim here? I’ve recommended you to do it in your counter-proposal as it would be more productive than just being clearly upset and throwing a tantrum because your ideas weren’t included in this proposal… when nothing in the process imposes that they should be. If you have something better to offer for the DAO, everyone is willing to read it and vote accordingly.

And yes, I consider naysaying without alternatives destructive when these services are in my opinion needed by the DAO and no alternative is ever suggested, that statement was not limited to you. Sorry if you have taken it really personally.

Oh and FYI, a counter proposal could not be submitted during the Incubation phase.

I wish I had contributed to this amendment I’ve linked to you… I would certainly have understood this without your precious help :joy:

Funny point here… Even though it is a fake account, it is necessary to listen to some of what he says. It is very clear that he has made an attack. but he just wants a road map, he wants to hear what will be done, not what has been done. I agree with him on that. At the moment it looks like let’s take this position (WS) and then we will figure out what to do…

I don’t know who you are, but I like your technique @foxfren

Until I read this threatening approach:

“My additional FOX is coming. There will be a counter proposal. None of the current Globalization Team members will be involved in that counter proposal.”

“What is threatening about stating that a counter proposal will be arriving and that the current Globalization Team members will not be involved? This is a DAO. There is no reason to include previous baggage when forming a counter proposal. If you can’t handle being asked questions then you will face the consequences of handling a counter proposal. This is why the counter proposal idea exists, is it not?”

What you misunderstand here is that : I am saying don’t say it, just do it. Yes, it is a vote and you are free to choose. That’s so that you don’t end up being wrong about what you’re right about.

It’s strange that you don’t know that the method you’re using is actually a technique. At least to whip the other side until they do the right thing. it’s actually called psychological manipulation…

frankly, it doesn’t matter to me how long you’ve been doing what you’re doing, where you’re based or what your expertise is, what matters is just what you’re proposing here…What I see in CT and many other places is that there are so many types who write themselves as experts on any subject without any life experience…so it doesn’t mean anything to me.

“My additional FOX is coming”

I am talking about the threat for this sentence…

I am talking about the way you whip the global WS by rubbing his mistakes in his face and then the opposite approach… some people either give up or work to do better. that is psychological manipulation.

Actually we have many things in common. with this proposal I will not vote for Global. but not because they are not working. On the contrary, Global team is carrying a lot of burdens… I want to know the way they are going to go. I don’t want to see them doing anything when they set out.

Present your proposal and we will consider it. No one here will be against it and I am sure we will all be happy with new ideas.

what will be done, not what has been done.

The Goals section outlines this, how they will be achieved during this new term can be found in the Execution section and by reading the tasks each person involved in the Workstream will do.

When we share what has been done it’s to demonstrate that the methods/execution this team applied can be applied again and perfected during this new term, they have proven to attract a Global userbase (see detailed numbers in Incubation and Mixpanel). If someone wants to claim these users might not be brought by Globalization efforts based on their own anecdote, good for them, we measure both by region and supported languages to know if the efforts we make are doing a difference and from what I can see we do make a difference, just by supported languages we enable almost 40% of users to use the app conveniently in the language they prefer (maybe their only language). If that is not enough, bring a better discriminator, bring your counter-proposal.

@Fireb0mb1

I can’t say that I pay much attention to the country data. because I don’t use the application in the language I translate. also I am online in at least 3 different locations a day. so I am 3 different people in this case because I connect with different ip. If we calculate that I have 4 different wallets, with a little math, I am one person but I am many people according to mixpanel… so I don’t know how you measure this… when I said I want to see what will be done, not what has been done, I meant that I want to see a plan… we are in a position to make x deal / you will regularly do x work and we have allocated a budget of this amount for this, etc. I meant to detail it.

Wondering what kind of FOX holder is you?

What kind of FOX threatens a Leadership with a mighty 5k $FOX bag?

What kind of FOX changes his nickname from foxfren to foxdestructor after showing up in the community?

What kind of FOX aims to destroy the DAO and its WS?

What kind of a FOX jumps on DAOs public meetings disguised as friend and becomes aggressive after being denied?

You harassed Globalization and attacked members. your attack against this specific workstream is a direct attack on the entire organization.

My conclusions says youre just a random user looking for an opportunity to work in our DAO or just a ShapeShift hater. Do you think other leaders approve what you are doing? What a shame about you lol we are trying to help the dao, not tear things down. See the difference? we’re on Global voice public channel, why don’t you come to a public channel and say everything you think?

no more attacky posts.

No, its not. you antagonized someone, and they responded. tattling on them seems childish.

Swearing at you is not a crime.

I can’t say that I pay much attention to the country data. because I don’t use the application in the language I translate.

We don’t use Country as the only metric, we look at the language in conjunction with the country in Mixpanel. As I said there is currently almost 40% of the users of the app which use another language than English, these users would be served with a less ideal user experience (or NO experience at all, because believe it or not, there are non-English speakers on Interner) without our Workstream as there is no current plan to maintain these translations outside of our WS, we are the ones providing this better experience, you included because you translate the app in Turkish. So yes, we will attribute these users to the efforts we put in the app (as a not-just-Marketing Workstream).

also I am online in at least 3 different locations a day. so I am 3 different people in this case because I connect with different ip. If we calculate that I have 4 different wallets, with a little math, I am one person but I am many people according to mixpanel

Just like the English MAU used by Marketing, Mixpanel does its best to identify users distinctively but in the end if you use the app on two different devices, for all intents and purposes we will count you twice because these are anonymized stats and we do not have user accounts per se to aggregate their stats as one. I think this fact is factored in the goals each WS sets, even if it’s hard to quantify really precisely with the limited data we allow ourselves to collect to respect the privacy of our users.

when I said I want to see what will be done, not what has been done, I meant that I want to see a plan…

What specifically in the Goals/Execution Goals sections do you not consider as part of “a plan” that our WS intends to execute if it’s renewed? The main ones are tied to metrics, we have defined the metrics when asked, and you can see that each contributor has specific tasks related to these goals.

At some point, give us exactly the goals you would expect us to meet, the ones listed are the ones we realistically think we can achieve with the budget and team our Leadership assembled. The vague requests do not help anyone, if you have expectations of goals with metrics, share them. Or if you don’t want to collaborate with us on this, make a counter-proposal there is always this option as stated before.

The problem is that I read something different than what I want to say right now. So, it doesn’t make sense FOR ME to see the data in the mixpanel in the proposal and only in the proposal…

Okay. Let’s do it this way if the words are complicated

• Provide a clear business plan in the proposal (What WS is doing now is great. I have no doubt there is more to come. But what will the team do in the new era?)

• If there are any events you will/need to participate in during this 6 month period, include them with budgets.

• Pull your budget higher. Because everyone, including me, knows that you will be stuck again with an insufficient budget.

Just detailed because there is still time. During this time, you have the chance to plan at least 3-4 months ahead.

I believe that even the amount translators are paid per word should be here

The problem is that I read something different than what I want to say right now. So, it doesn’t make sense FOR ME to see the data in the mixpanel in the proposal

Okay. Let’s do it this way if the words are complicated

• Provide a clear business plan in the proposal (What WS is doing now is great. I have no doubt there is more to come. But what will the team do in the new era?)

• If there are any events you will/need to participate in during this 6 month period, include them with budgets.

• Pull your budget higher. Because everyone, including me, knows that you will be stuck again with an insufficient budget.

Just detailed because there is still time. During this time, you have the chance to plan at least 3-4 months ahead.

I believe that even the amount translators are paid per word should be here

thats a good way to spread it out. ( i dont think the budget will be expanded however)

Absolutely. And then it will be clear what they have to offer and the budget they want.and what they’re gonna give the DAO…

Assuming that the budget doesn’t go beyond what it is now, then nobody will be able to blame Global for anything because everybody will see everything in detail. That’s going to tell people “we cut these guys’ budget and yes, they didn’t have a chance to complete the whole list with that budget”.